Interpreting in Healthcare Settings
$997 + GST
Oct 18 - Nov 15, every Tuesday from 5:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. Pacific Time
This course, is a second level program that provides fundamental skills to allow interpreters to work in healthcare settings confidently. This course covers medical and healthcare terminology, the role of the interpreter in healthcare settings, the health care system, cultural differences in health and wellness, and much more.
Course Title: Interpreting in Healthcare Settings
Length: 50 hours
Prerequisite: Interpreting in Community Settings
Format: This course is offered online via remote classroom learning. The course is comprised of 8 sessions in an online classroom with the instructor and others students, and a series of online modules and assignments that students complete in their own time. Students have access to the online modules for 3 months from the start date of the course.
- The role of the Healthcare Interpreter
- Medical and healthcare terminology
- Overview of the Canadian/BC health care system and infrastructure
Introduction to the roles and functions of healthcare practitioners and personnel
- Management of the interpreting session
- Models of health and well-being
- Inter-cultural and inter-personal communication skills
- Student Manual Included